- Transfer the textured soybeans to a bowl and use the skillet again to sauté the onions with the oil and a pinch of salt.
- Textured soybeans need to be moistened before cooking. Put it in a bowl and cover with hot water. Then strain and let drain well.
- In a frying pan, heat a little olive oil over medium heat and pour in the hydrated and dried soybeans. Stir constantly until lightly browned.
- Add textured soybeans, broth and soy sauce. Add all seasonings. Mix well and add olives. When cool, place the filling in a container with a lid and refrigerate while you prepare the mashed potato pie.
- Peel the potatoes and steam them. When they become soft, drain the water, add a little oil and a beaten egg, mash with a potato masher.
- Assemble the potato pie. Put a layer of mashed potatoes in a baking dish, top with the filling, and then another layer of mashed potatoes.
- Bake in a hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Potato pie is such an Argentinean dish that it’s hard to say no to when one decides to switch to a vegetarian diet. But with a textured soy filling instead of minced meat, it’s perfect and just as rich as the original. The main thing is to season it very well. This potato pie recipe is vegetarian because it contains eggs, but you can substitute any vegan ingredient like coconut oil or skip it altogether.